Saturday 20 August 2011

When Pigs Fly: Chapter 8


As Zeke and I walked down the corridor, towards the sleeping quarters, we passed a lot of people.  Zeke told me that everyone here was human, so I stopped freaking out every time someone passed by us.  Zeke also introduced me to them.  Caulin had come from California with his sister, Abbey and best friends Amber and Shawna were from Ontario!  There was also TJ, Dan, Tyler, Catherine, and the twins: Hope and Faith.
                “How many people are living here?” I asked.  I had counted thirteen so far and was already amazed at the number.
                “Umm…I think there’s about twenty,” he replied.  “Twenty-one now that you’re here.”
                It was more than I could have ever hoped for.
                “Showing her around, Zeke?”
                I froze as I recognized the voice that was coming from behind me.  It was the man Zeke was with when they found me.  Joe.
                I turned around to face him and blushed, remembering what had happened when we first…met.
                “Yeah,” Zeke replied.  “Nicole, this is Joe.  Joe, Nicole.”
                “We’ve met…” he said, wincing at the memory. 
                I turned a deeper shade of red.  “Sorry,” I apologized, “but, you really shouldn’t have scared me like that.”
                “Well I won’t be forgetting that lesson any time soon…” He turned to Zeke.  “Where are you taking her?”
                “I was going to try to find her a place to sleep.”
                “Well good luck with that,” Joe snorted.  “Pretty much everywhere is full right now.  Anyways, I have to go talk to Matt about the corn.  See you guys later!”
                As Joe walked away, Zeke turned to me.  “So, if the rooms are full, where are we going to put you?”
                “Well, I guess I can stay in the infirmary…I’ll be okay.”  I tried to suppress a grimace while I told him this.  Zeke saw right through my lie though. 
                “Nicole, I’m not going to make you sleep in there.  You can bunk with me for now.  Until we find a better spot for you, that is.”
                A small smile crept onto my face.  “Are you sure?” I asked.  “I don’t want you to feel like you have to or anything.”
                “It’s fine with me,” he assured me.  “Are you okay with it?”
                This was turning into a great day!  What started out as a day that would consist of me running from aliens, changed to me finding a home that was safe and filled with humans.  One of which was incredibly kind and understood me better than I did,
                “That sounds perfect.”
*****************
                As we walked out of the theatre, Christian held my hand.  I know that practically every teenager on the face of the earth says this, but it felt like my hand fit perfectly in his.
                Star Trek had been an awesome movie!  I always had been into sci-fi.
                “So, what did you think of the movie?” Christian asked me.
                “It was great; the perfect movie for our one year anniversary!”
                He kissed me.  “I’m glad you liked it,” he whispered into my ear.  I sighed contently.
                “I love you.”
                “I love you, too.”
                We kissed again; it was all very romantic.  When we broke apart, Christian took my hand again and we continued walking.
                “So,” I asked, “do you think it’s possible?”
                “Do I think what is possible?”
                “Aliens.”
                “Do you?”
                I nodded.  “Sure.  There are billions of universes and probably hundreds of billions of planets out there.  Who’s to say that Earth is the only one with intelligent life?”
                He gave me a stern look.  “Aliens are cool in movies and stuff I guess, but there’s no such thing!”
                “Why don’t you think it’s possible?”  Whatever answer I was expecting, it wasn’t the one he gave me.
                “Because it’s a stupid idea.  I’ll believe aliens exist when Big Foot parties with me and pigs start flying!  There’s no such thing as aliens and anyone who believes in them is an idiot!”
                I glared at him.  “So now I’m an idiot?”
                “Do you believe in aliens?” he asked me, as if that answered my question.
                “God, Christian, when did you get to be such a jackass?!” I yelled.
                “A jackass?  Geez, Nick, you really are stupid!”
                “Don’t call me that!  I can’t believe I spent an entire year with you!” I spat.  “I should have known better!  My mom was right about you—“
                “Well,” he interrupted.  “I guess being a bitch is hereditary!”
                I gasped; now he was calling my mom names?!  He had gone too far.
                “Screw you, Christian,” I hissed.  “Good luck finding someone else that will put up with all of your crap!  We’re through!”
                As I stormed off, I could hear him yelling obscenities after me.
                When I got home, I ran upstairs and locked myself in my room.  My anger had melted away.  All I was left with was despair and I couldn’t hold it in any longer; I cried.
                Moments of Christian and I flashed through my head as I sobbed, ending with that fight.  I was torn.  On the one hand, I couldn’t believe that I had spent so much time with a dick like him.  I should have seen it coming.  On the other hand, I had just broken up with my boyfriend of a year—on our anniversary to boot—and it hurt. 
                It’s for the best, I chanted again and again in my head, trying to stop the tears from falling.
                God, my life was such a mess.
***************
                I woke up crying and disoriented; the memory of me dumping Christian still burning strongly in my mind. 
                Well, Christian, I thought as the tears streaked down my face.  I hope you had a good time with Big Foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment